Nanterre Filet Mignons








Ingredients: one slice of beef fillet per person, the parsley butter called maitre d'Hotel, croutons.

Cut each slice into 2 cm-thick fillets. Cook on a grill or stove, for four on each side. Serve on croutons with the parsley butter.


Well that's all nice and simple, isn't it? And it was. After the stress of the lobster - and it did make me anxious - it was great. I really liked making the butter, as I haven't ever done this one before, and I will be making it again.




So what was it like? I've never cooked steak before, and have only eaten it once before. For a strange, sad reason, for years, I was a vegetarian, and the thought of eating steak was very strange to me, but I now eat meat, and have no problems about it. However, seeing the pool of blood on the plate (not mine) made me feel a bit weird, but anyone who thinks the revolution is going to be bloodless is deluded.

I cooked Dauphinoise Potatoes to eat with it, and it was great, classic French cookery. I think - hope - Guy really enjoyed eating it too. Most of all it was enormous fun, cooking things I don't normally do, following a recipe - which unless I am baking I don't normally do - and doing it from the basis of a letter Debord wrote in 1968. I might be a long way from Belgium, but psychogeographically I am in their kitchen with them. 

I am posting this today in the absence of any particular day in May that this is associated with, but because last night was the anniversary of the Odeon being opened as a 24 hour debating chamber. Olivier Assayas recounts seeing 'the black and red flags crossed on the theatre's pediment' which, for him, is an indelible image.





I recommend Assayas's book as it is a highly personal and deeply felt account of his political development, and I can see much in it that reflects my own experience. And as a film maker, well, he's just fabulous. 
Olivier Assayas, A Post May Adolescence : Letter to Alice Debord, Synema, 2012



I also recommend Redoubtable, the film about Jean Luc Godard, set during May 68. I laughed a lot, the street scenes were incredibly well done, and I was  slightly annoyed, just as Godard always annoys me slightly, which is how it should be, all at the same time as his being brilliant. Everything I wanted, except that the Cannes Film Festival was only reported on the radio. But it might have been a bit expensive.

Next in the Situationist cookalong is Spinach au Grappin, but I don't know why it's spinach rather than the French word epinard, and I have to do things 'in the style of an urbanist.' Oh well. Godard said that the Redoubtable film was a 'stupid, stupid idea,' just as I suppose Debord would label me a pro-Situ for doing this. Oh well.

Comments